Are You Winter Weather Ready?
Are you prepared for the cold weather coming?
Cold weather can have a huge impact on your home and business if you are not ready for it.
From heavy rain and freezing temperatures to damaging winds, sleet or snow.
To help prevent costly damages due to weather, consider taking the following precautions to protect your property.
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs & branches. Wind, heavy rain, ice and snow can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to help ensure they are in proper order.
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate a potential flood hazard
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under a cabinet, leave the cabinet doors open, allowing warm inside air to circulate around the pipes.
When winter weather strikes, call SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn to strike back!
BEFORE THE FEAST
BEFORE THE FEAST
Safety first before the feast!
Each November, families gather to celebrate Thanksgiving by preparing a delicious feast, but if you don't practice safe cooking habits, your happy holiday could become hazardous very quickly.
Cooking is the main cause for home fires and injuries. Review the following safety tips to help ensure you can enjoy a safe holiday.
- Never leave cooking food unattended-stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, or broiling food.
- Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking. Use a timer as a reminder that the stove or oven is on.
- Keep the kids away from the cooking area. Enforce a " kid free zone" and make them stay at least three feet away from the stove.
- Keep anything flammable-pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging and towels or curtains- away from the stove
- Do not wear loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease build up.
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn Professionals wish you a safe and happy holiday season.
FIRE PREVENTION MONTH
Fire Prevention Month
October is Fire Prevention Month!
Do you have a fire escape plan?
Have you charged your smoke alarm batteries within the last year?
LOOK, LISTEN AND LEARN!
LOOK for places fire could start. Take a good look around your home. Identify potential fire hazards and take care of them.
LISTEN for the sound of the smoke alarm. You could only have minutes to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds.
LEARN two ways out of every room and make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily and are free of clutter.
Stay safe and prepare now!
Fires are preventable. For Electrical and Appliance Safety keep in mind that frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
If an appliance has a three prong plug, use it only in a three slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two slot outlet or extension cord.
Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Crofton Home
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Overloaded Outlets Can Lead to Fires
EFSI has great tips for Crofton residents about outlet safety this holiday season.
December is the season of lights, candles and food. Driving around Crofton, Odenton, and Severn neighborhoods; looking at all the holiday lights and seeing all the extension cords gave us pause. Are those cords rated for outside use, are they all hooked to the same outlet?
There are some safety tips to follow when using lights outside:
- Purchase certified and lab tested cords
- Make sure they are rated for outdoor use
- Do not use multiple plug outlets chained together
Inside the home you may add some lights, your tree and maybe even some cooking appliances. Using certified and lab tested cords inside is important as well. Overloading outlets is the biggest issues that can lead to a fire. Checking connections for fraying wires, limiting the number of units per outlet and unplugging items when not in use are best practices we should all follow.
The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) has other great safety tips that will help limit your holiday fire risk. SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn will have crews working throughout the holiday if you find yourself in need of smoke, soot or fire damage repair.
CELEBRATE SUMMER SAFETY
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn is ready for whatever happens, you can be too this summer!
Summer is a time to enjoy the great outdoors, but it is also important to keep safety in mind. Consider following the tips provided by the National Fire Protection Association, to keep you and your family safe all summer long.
- When using a charcoal grill, only use starter fluids designed for barbecue grills; do not add fluid after coals are lit
- When using a gas grill, ensure the hose connection is tight; check hoses for leaks
- When camping, always use a flame-retardant tent and set camp far away from the campfire
- Always build a campfire downwind from the tent area. Clear vegetation and dig a pit before building your fire
- Store liquid fire starter (not gasoline) away from your tent and campfire and only use dry kindling to freshen a campfire.
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn wishes you a safe and happy summer!
SERVPRO Biohazard Cleanup
Biohazard, Crime Scene, and Vandalism Cleanup
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn also offers fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup and restoration services to residential and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers, and owners.
SERVPRO professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local health regulations.
SERVPRO of Crofton can help with the following issues:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Methamphetamine Labs
- Crime Scene Residues
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
Contact us, SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn today for 24-hour emergency service needs.
Smoke Alarms: Save Lives
Smoke alarms save lives when properly installed and maintained, according to the National Fire Protection Association. In homes, smoke alarms should be in every bedroom and on every level, including the basement. In office and commercial environment, check your state requirements or contact your local Fire Marshall to help ensure all codes are met.
Test smoke alarms monthly using the test button. Smoke alarms with non-replaceable batteries need the entire smoke alarm unit replaced every ten years. Other alarms need batteries replaced every year, and the unit replaced every ten years. If the alarm chirps signaling low battery, take the proper steps to replace the unit or batteries immediately. Never disable or remove the batteries from the alarm. Almost half of fires where smoke alarms were present but did not activate had missing or disconnected batteries.
Be sure your home or workplace has a fire emergency plan in place and conduct regular fire drills.
Safety Tips for Heating-Related Fire
The winter season is here and with it comes shorter days and lower temperatures. In effort to keep our homes and workplaces cozy, many people use alternative heat sources like fireplaces, portable space heaters, and wood burning stoves. Did you know that heating equipment is the leading cause of home fire deaths?
Keep the following safety tips in mind to help reduce your risk of a heating-related fire,
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment. Have a three foot " kid-free zone" around open fires and space heaters.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
If your property does suffer a fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Crofton/Gambrills/Odenton to help make it "Like it never even happend."
American Red Cross Fire Prevention Month
American Red Cross Fire Prevention Month
Did you know that home fires are actually the majority of the disasters that occur?
You can easily prevent a home fire if you know the right protocol. The American Red Cross has many great tips for you. Please visit www.redcross.org to learn more about preventing home fires and be prepared if one does occur.
Don't let a home fire happen to you and your family. The American Red Cross can help you learn how to tips to prevent a home fire at your household. Make sure your family can safely escape your home in less than 2 minutes. Test your smoke alarms. To learn more please visit www.redcross.org/homefires
Over $7 billion in property damage occurs every year due to home fires. Your help is needed in every form. If you can give your time or effort, please become an American Red Cross volunteer at www.redcross.org to help others recover from home fires.
On average, 36 people suffer injuries as a result of home fires every day. You can help fire victims by donating to https://redcross.org/cm/SERVPROindustries-pub