Dangers of Deep Frying A Turkey
5 Dangers of Deep Frying A Turkey
- Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area or surface
- An over-filled cooking pot can cause cooking oil to spill or splatter when the turkey is placed in the pot
- Even a small amount of cooking oil on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
- Without thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat cooking oil to the point of igniting a fire
- The sides of the cooking pot, lid, and pot handles can get dangerously hot.
Did you know cooking equipment is the leading cause of residential fires? As the holiday season begins and you find yourself in the kitchen more often while hosting friends and family, fire precautions should be top of mind.
Keep Fall Fire-Free
The fall season brings cooler temperatures, beautiful colors, and an abundance of outdoor activities. Plan ahead this season to help ensure it is safe and fire-free.
- Fall decorations, like dried flowers and cornstalks, are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations away from open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- Keep emergency exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes
- Teach children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire
- Remember safety first when choosing a Halloween costume. Consider avoiding billowing fabric. If you are making your costume, choose material that won't easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or flames.
- It is safest to use a flashlight or battery operated candle in a jack-o-lantern. Use extreme caution if using a real candle. Place lit pumpkins away from anything that can burn and out of the way of doorsteps, walkways, and yards.
If Disaster Strikes!
If disaster strikes, will you be ready?
It is important to prepare before a disaster occurs. Consider the following steps to better prepare for an an emergency situation.
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings. Download apps, check access for wireless emergency alerts.
- Develop and test emergency communication plans
- Assemble or update emergency supplies.
- Learn about local hazards, and conduct a drill to practice emergency response actions.
- Participate in a preparedness discussion, training and class
- Collect and safeguard critical documents.
- Plan with neighbors to help each other and share resources.
- Document property and obtain appropriate insurance for relevant hazards.
- Make property improvements to reduce potential injury and property damage.
Emergencies can happen anytime to anyone. Take action now to protect yourself and your property.
CARBON MONOXIDE: A Silent Killer
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels, it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels, like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, and propane burn incompletely.
An excess of CO, leading to CO poisoning, can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers or idling cars left running in garages. Take some basic, precautionary steps can help eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Have fuel burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves inspected by a trained professional every year.
- Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
- Make sure all fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle indoors. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice, or other material.
- Make sure vents for dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
- Only use barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Some grills can produce CO gas.
The fourth of July is a time to celebrate with friends and family at a barbeque or picnic. With traditions of fireworks and bonfires, there may be some potential dangers along the way. In order to celebrate safely when it comes to these events, consider the following tips provided by the U.S. Fire Administration.
- The best way to enjoy fireworks is to view public fireworks displays put on by professionals.
- If you plan to use fireworks, ensure they are legal in your area.
- Always read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. If a device is not marked with the contents, directions and a warning label, do not light it.
- Supervise children around fireworks at all times.
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a firework does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate. Pour water over it and dispose of it.
FASTER TO ANY SIZE DISASTER
There is no disaster that hits home quite like a disaster to your property, home or business. When you have suffered a fire, water, or mold damage, you don't have time to waste searching for a company to fix your property. When disaster strikes, depend on SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn.
Keep updated with our blogs to get some great tips and tricks for home & business owners as well as fun facts that is good to know.
SHOCKING FACTS ABOUT LIGHTNING
- Be aware. Check the forecast before participating in outdoor activities. If it calls for thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity.
- Go indoors. Remember the phrase, " When thunder roars, go indoors. " Find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Shelter includes homes, offices, shopping centers, and hard top vehicles.
- Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete. Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning on concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water. Do not bathe, shower, wash dishes, or have any other contact with water during a thunderstorm because lightning can travel through a buildings plumbing.
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO also offer fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup. Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose a serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn Professionals help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn can help with the following issues:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Crime Scene Residues
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrustions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
Contact SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn today for 24-hour emergency service.
DO YOU HAVE DIRTY DUCTS?
Improve your indoor air quality with duct cleaning.
Inspecting the duct work in your home or facility should be a high priority. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn are your local professionals for all your cleaning needs. Spring is in the air which means maybe it is time to get those ducts cleaned out and deodorized.
While you are in the Spring Cleaning mood don't forget SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn can also preform many other spring cleaning tasks for you as well. Such as carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, ceiling and wall cleaning and hard floor cleaning.
Leave it up to the SERVPRO Professionals to help you this Spring season!
UNDERSTANDING WATER TYPES
When your home or business suffers water damage, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper cleanups. There are 3 types of water. Clean water, Gray water (slightly contaminated), and Black water (contaminated.)
DAMAGE FROM CLEAN WATER
- Shut off water source
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if access to power distribution panel is safe from potential electrical shock
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
- remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions to allow more even drying
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets
- Do not turn on ceiling fan fixtures if ceiling is wet
DAMAGE FROM CONTAMINATED WATER
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is possibility of spreading contaminated air
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure; air flow could spread contaminants
- Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to contaminated areas
When you have a water damage, don't leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn!
Portable fire extinguishers can be life and property saving tools when used correctly. In order to operate an extinguisher, the National Fire Protection Association suggests remembering the words PASS:
Pull the pin. Hold the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
Read the instructions on the fire extinguisher and become familiar with them before a fire breaks out. Remember, extinguishers do have limitations. It is also important to ensure you have the correct type of extinguisher for your facility. To find more information on choosing the appropriate class of extinguisher, please visit the NFPA website at nfpa.org.