Overloaded Outlets Can Lead to Fires
December is the season of lights, candles and food. Driving around Crofton, Odenton, and Severn neighborhoods; looking at all the holiday lights and seeing all the extension cords gave us pause. Are those cords rated for outside use, are they all hooked to the same outlet?
There are some safety tips to follow when using lights outside:
- Purchase certified and lab tested cords
- Make sure they are rated for outdoor use
- Do not use multiple plug outlets chained together
Inside the home you may add some lights, your tree and maybe even some cooking appliances. Using certified and lab tested cords inside is important as well. Overloading outlets is the biggest issues that can lead to a fire. Checking connections for fraying wires, limiting the number of units per outlet and unplugging items when not in use are best practices we should all follow.
The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) has other great safety tips that will help limit your holiday fire risk. SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn will have crews working throughout the holiday if you find yourself in need of smoke, soot or fire damage repair.