Safety Tips for Heating-Related Fire
The winter season is here and with it comes shorter days and lower temperatures. In effort to keep our homes and workplaces cozy, many people use alternative heat sources like fireplaces, portable space heaters, and wood burning stoves. Did you know that heating equipment is the leading cause of home fire deaths?
Keep the following safety tips in mind to help reduce your risk of a heating-related fire,
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from heating equipment. Have a three foot " kid-free zone" around open fires and space heaters.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
If your property does suffer a fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Crofton/Gambrills/Odenton to help make it "Like it never even happend."