DO YOU HAVE DIRTY DUCTS?
Improve your indoor air quality with duct cleaning.
Inspecting the duct work in your home or facility should be a high priority. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn are your local professionals for all your cleaning needs. Spring is in the air which means maybe it is time to get those ducts cleaned out and deodorized.
While you are in the Spring Cleaning mood don't forget SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn can also preform many other spring cleaning tasks for you as well. Such as carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, ceiling and wall cleaning and hard floor cleaning.
Leave it up to the SERVPRO Professionals to help you this Spring season!
UNDERSTANDING WATER TYPES
When your home or business suffers water damage, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper cleanups. There are 3 types of water. Clean water, Gray water (slightly contaminated), and Black water (contaminated.)
DAMAGE FROM CLEAN WATER
- Shut off water source
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if access to power distribution panel is safe from potential electrical shock
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
- remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions to allow more even drying
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets
- Do not turn on ceiling fan fixtures if ceiling is wet
DAMAGE FROM CONTAMINATED WATER
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is possibility of spreading contaminated air
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure; air flow could spread contaminants
- Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to contaminated areas
When you have a water damage, don't leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn!
Portable fire extinguishers can be life and property saving tools when used correctly. In order to operate an extinguisher, the National Fire Protection Association suggests remembering the words PASS:
Pull the pin. Hold the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
Read the instructions on the fire extinguisher and become familiar with them before a fire breaks out. Remember, extinguishers do have limitations. It is also important to ensure you have the correct type of extinguisher for your facility. To find more information on choosing the appropriate class of extinguisher, please visit the NFPA website at nfpa.org.
Winter weather can bring about more issues than just slippery roads and a sidewalk to shovel. If you live where temperatures sink below freezing level, you are also at risk for frozen pipes and ice dams, which can create a major disaster at your home or property.
Frozen pipes are often those exposed to the cold weather, such as those outside your home, or in cold areas such as basements, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets. To prevent pipes from freezing, here are a few steps you can take, according to The American Red Cross:
- Be sure to completely drain water from swimming pool and sprinkler lines, as well as outside hoses
- Open kitchen cabinets to let warm air circulate near the plumbing
- When the weather is extremely cold, let water drip from faucets that may come from exposed pipes.
- Keep your heat set to the same temperature both day and night
If winter weather causes water damage to your property, SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn Professionals are only a call away, 24/7, ready to restore to preloss condition.
Are You Winter Weather Ready?
Are you prepared for the cold weather coming?
Cold weather can have a huge impact on your home and business if you are not ready for it.
From heavy rain and freezing temperatures to damaging winds, sleet or snow.
To help prevent costly damages due to weather, consider taking the following precautions to protect your property.
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs & branches. Wind, heavy rain, ice and snow can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to help ensure they are in proper order.
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate a potential flood hazard
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under a cabinet, leave the cabinet doors open, allowing warm inside air to circulate around the pipes.
When winter weather strikes, call SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn to strike back!
BEFORE THE FEAST
BEFORE THE FEAST
Safety first before the feast!
Each November, families gather to celebrate Thanksgiving by preparing a delicious feast, but if you don't practice safe cooking habits, your happy holiday could become hazardous very quickly.
Cooking is the main cause for home fires and injuries. Review the following safety tips to help ensure you can enjoy a safe holiday.
- Never leave cooking food unattended-stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, or broiling food.
- Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking. Use a timer as a reminder that the stove or oven is on.
- Keep the kids away from the cooking area. Enforce a " kid free zone" and make them stay at least three feet away from the stove.
- Keep anything flammable-pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging and towels or curtains- away from the stove
- Do not wear loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease build up.
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn Professionals wish you a safe and happy holiday season.
FIRE PREVENTION MONTH
Fire Prevention Month
October is Fire Prevention Month!
Do you have a fire escape plan?
Have you charged your smoke alarm batteries within the last year?
LOOK, LISTEN AND LEARN!
LOOK for places fire could start. Take a good look around your home. Identify potential fire hazards and take care of them.
LISTEN for the sound of the smoke alarm. You could only have minutes to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds.
LEARN two ways out of every room and make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily and are free of clutter.
Stay safe and prepare now!
Fires are preventable. For Electrical and Appliance Safety keep in mind that frayed wires can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
If an appliance has a three prong plug, use it only in a three slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two slot outlet or extension cord.
Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialists can restore your Crofton Home
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Overloaded Outlets Can Lead to Fires
EFSI has great tips for Crofton residents about outlet safety this holiday season.
December is the season of lights, candles and food. Driving around Crofton, Odenton, and Severn neighborhoods; looking at all the holiday lights and seeing all the extension cords gave us pause. Are those cords rated for outside use, are they all hooked to the same outlet?
There are some safety tips to follow when using lights outside:
- Purchase certified and lab tested cords
- Make sure they are rated for outdoor use
- Do not use multiple plug outlets chained together
Inside the home you may add some lights, your tree and maybe even some cooking appliances. Using certified and lab tested cords inside is important as well. Overloading outlets is the biggest issues that can lead to a fire. Checking connections for fraying wires, limiting the number of units per outlet and unplugging items when not in use are best practices we should all follow.
The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) has other great safety tips that will help limit your holiday fire risk. SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn will have crews working throughout the holiday if you find yourself in need of smoke, soot or fire damage repair.
CELEBRATE SUMMER SAFETY
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn is ready for whatever happens, you can be too this summer!
Summer is a time to enjoy the great outdoors, but it is also important to keep safety in mind. Consider following the tips provided by the National Fire Protection Association, to keep you and your family safe all summer long.
- When using a charcoal grill, only use starter fluids designed for barbecue grills; do not add fluid after coals are lit
- When using a gas grill, ensure the hose connection is tight; check hoses for leaks
- When camping, always use a flame-retardant tent and set camp far away from the campfire
- Always build a campfire downwind from the tent area. Clear vegetation and dig a pit before building your fire
- Store liquid fire starter (not gasoline) away from your tent and campfire and only use dry kindling to freshen a campfire.
SERVPRO of Crofton/Odenton/Severn wishes you a safe and happy summer!